At Trinity, we use the seven Parelli games in our training of the horses. The first of the games is called the Friendly Game. Basically, you touch the horse all over so they realize that you are friendly and not a predator. Today, I played the friendly game with Phoenix using a medium sized, yellow exercise ball. I had done this two days ago with a smaller, red ball. With the red ball, she had no reaction. I even bounced it in front of her face and she didn't care. Of course, this is the desired reaction with new stimuli. At one point, she even kicked the red ball when it was in the way of the grass that she wanted.
Today, I played the friendly game using both balls. When I held up the red ball for her to sniff, she tried to bite it. Other than that, she pretty much ignored it. When I used the yellow ball, she didn't mind it until I put it over her back. She jumped and tried to run. However, as soon as she felt the slightest of pressure of the lead rope on her halter, she stopped running. She sniffed again and I rubbed it against her yet again. She breathed heavily, but stood still. I put the yellow ball on the ground and tried to get her to kick it, but she just kept walking around it. She didn't understand why I was trying to walk her into an object.
I also got her to cross over water. It's been raining miserably every single day, which has created many large puddles. Phoenix doesn't like water and is hesitant to walk through it. I found a large, muddy puddle in the pasture and lead her through it. I did this three times and she became less hesitant each time.
I don't think it will be too long before I can lunge her and do the other six Parelli games with her.
No comments:
Post a Comment