Thursday, July 4, 2013

First Separation

For the very first time, Raven and Phoenix were separated. These two mares have been attached at the hip and we today we put a fence between them. Phoenix was on the grooming schedule for today so I went into the pasture with a grooming kit. I had her on a lead line and I started grooming her when I realized that it was really muddy in the pasture. Raven and Phoenix are kept in the pasture that's right beside our arena and the arena had no mud in it. I remembered that Cynthia had said that at some point I should try separating them. I thought, "Why not now?" and I went inside to ask Nora for help. She opened the gate while I coaxed Phoenix into the arena. She was hesitant to go through the gate, but it only took a few minutes.

Raven and Phoenix didn't even seem to care that there was a fence between them. At one point, I walked a little further with Phoenix. Raven looked up and snorted once and that was the only reaction to the separation. I groomed Phoenix and she did wonderful. Her back legs were splattered with mud, but I didn't groom her legs. I'm still not ready to try that. I don't think she'll get kicky, but you can never be too careful. I did, however, run my hand down one of her front legs just to see what would happen. Her only reaction was to slowly walk away. When I put her back in the pasture with Raven, I took the lead rope off her. Even though I took it off, she followed me when I stepped forward and stopped when I stopped. It was pretty cute.

Later, I went into the pasture with my camera. I wanted to get a full body shot so I could make a comparison photo. That full body shot was a little hard to get because she walked right up to me and wanted some love. She's become so sociable.
 She likes to sniff things before they touch her

 First time they've been separated
 She was very interested in the camera
She's improving everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment