Yesterday, we started lunging Phoenix. For those of you that don't know, lunging is a way to exercise a horse. You put them on a long rope called a "lunge line", use a carrot stick to direct them, and basically have them run in circles around you. I was very hesitant to do this with Phoenix. I was afraid that she would be scared of the carrot stick and I didn't want her to associate that with me. We took her into the round pen and did some free lunging, meaning we lunged her without a lunge line. I didn't really know how to start. Jonathan, an experienced volunteer, took the carrot stick and showed me how to start her. He lightly swung it at her back legs to get her going. She seemed confused, but she did pretty well. He stopped for a little bit and told me to go pet her and reward her for doing well. After that, I took the carrot stick and it my turn to lunge her. She did well yesterday considering it was her first time being lunged. Raven freaked out in the pasture more than Phoenix did in the round pen.
I really didn't want to scare her and I was very hesitant. But I guess this is something I need to get over. I love her, but I need to stop acting like an overprotective mother...
Yesterday was a pretty good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment